About Parabellum Capital
Who We Are.
Parabellum Capital is a specialty finance company dedicated to financing the business of law. We are the continuation of the litigation finance business begun at Credit Suisse in 2006, which was spun off as the wholly independent company Parabellum Capital on January 1, 2012. Parabellum's principals pioneered the business of large commercial claims investment in the U.S. They were among the earliest U.S. investors to recognize the value embedded in litigation assets, forming the Legal Risk Strategies & Finance Group at Credit Suisse, where they became recognized leaders in the commercial litigation and arbitration claims investing business. Parabellum will expand upon the expertise, experience, and relationships developed by the investment team to continue to serve the market as the leading source of capital for large commercial litigation-related and other legal financing needs.
Our Distinctive Approach.
Having pioneered the large commercial litigation investing business in the U.S., we are the partner of choice for institutional litigants and elite law firms and business litigation counsel. We offer a newly expanded set of innovative risk sharing solutions for corporate litigants and their counsel. By taking risk with clients and alongside counsel, we are uniquely positioned to help corporate litigants contain the costs and risks of pursuing legal claims and to unlock the value of highly contingent claims, while enabling law firms to gain exposure to premium, performance-based billing.
Our product set is merely the starting point -- for each transaction is a specifically tailored solution to fit the often-complex needs of clients and counsel. We pride ourselves on being the best solution-builders in our industry. Our distinctive approach is built upon the following core principles:
- Rigorous compliance with any legal-ethics or lawyer-regulation principles that may be applicable to any transaction structure. Our first task is always to understand any relevant restrictions, and to build the transaction "from the ground up" to ensure full compliance with all such considerations, with expert guidance in these areas.
- Meritorious claims. We will never invest in any matter that does not possess a high degree of legal merit. Indeed, our underwriting process is detailed and highly selective.
- Passive investing in litigation matters. We never forget that our role precludes us from taking control of litigation or settlement decisions.
- True risk-taking with clients and alongside counsel's own risk-taking -- and true alignment of our interests with those of client and counsel. This ensures that our passive investment does not create distorted or irrational decisionmaking by our partners at key risk moments in the life of a litigation.
- True partnership with clients. We take meaningful financial risk in support of our clients. We will live by the spirit -- as well as the letter -- of every agreement we make. We will lose when our clients lose, and we will win only when they win.
- Confidentiality. All of our transactions are confidential and we are appropriately sensitive to all considerations of applicable legal privileges.
- Highest-quality partners. Our risk-taking approach necessarily mandates that we exercise great care in our selection of the matters we invest in. It requires that we exercise even more care in selecting the people we invest with or alongside. We will work only with partners of the highest integrity and alongside counsel whose skill and reputation makes them leaders in their field. Our real investment is in the people that make up the client-counsel team, not merely the matter itself. We never lose sight of the critical fact that our investment with a client is not a transaction -- it is a relationship.
After almost six years creating and developing the leading legal finance business at a global investment bank, the Parabellum team now brings its expertise, experience, and successful track record to a new and independent platform. With an expanded set of products and key strategic alliances, we will continue serving the corporate and commercial litigation market. Our focus will continue to be on offering solutions for corporate claims or litigation-related capital needs across the full spectrum of commercial and business litigation: breach of contract; fraud; insurance; securities; real estate; environmental; trade secrets; patent and intellectual property claims; antitrust; international arbitration and cross-border disputes; joint-venture and shareholder disputes; bankruptcy- and insolvency-related litigation; and other large-ticket commercial matters.